Thursday, November 26, 2009

Speaking of charities - Happy Thanksgiving!

This is a response to a post on a favorite list of mine, that after I wrote it, really feel it belongs on my blog, because it speaks to the wider community of readers (I like to believe I have). The referenced story link (and thanks to the poster for this) is:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/homeless-organization-called-fraud/?8au&emc=au


To all who celebrate it (and hey, to all that don't as well - it's a day, isn't it?) Happy Thanksgiving!

The subject of giving (or not) to the homeless (be it random or organized) is certainly near to me these days, as I'm TECHNICALLY homeless today, and lived in a homeless shelter for a couple weeks in January of this year (today I'm thankful to celebrate Thanksgiving while living temporarily in the home of my dear sister).

You might not believe this, but my adamant urging to anyone is do not give money to beggars or allegedly homeless people on the street! Regardless of the truth or falsehood of their status, you are not helping them (please don't buy their newspapers either).

You can absolutely give money, time, or anything else to the well known reputable organized charities that continuously (not just at holiday times) provide all manner of services to the homeless and indigent in your community (if it's of any notable size). The Salvation Army (dear to my heart now, of course) is an obvious example, and there are many, many others.

I write this from experience - having lived in a shelter myself and spoken with many people who've done the homeless gig (some for a very long time) for all manner of different reasons - some that would meet with "social approval" and some that would certainly not - all in the "same boat" together.

The reason you are not helping the homeless by giving money to them directly is because you are unintentionally supporting the indigent lifestyle - and no, it doesn't always involve substance abuse, but it does involve what I struggle to describe as the "attitude of indigence." Everyone's got their own story, complex or simple, and I've had mine too. When, for whatever reason, you don't have a place to stay/sleep/eat, etc., you go wherever you can and do whatever (and I mean whatever) you need to do to survive another day - and things like conscience, healthy shame, self-respect, all that stuff that knits our society together become secondary priorities, if even that. For myself, I actually turned down one offer by a new friend in the shelter to learn to "hustle" by joining them in front of a store, but I have to say it was it was tempting at that time.

And as for the organized evil described by the linked story, that's life on life's terms - the sharks are everywhere, and not just on the street, BTW (look at what's come to light recently in the name of the Deaf and HOH communities - nothing new under the sun).

This is NOT a cynical rant - I am utterly unable to express my gratitude for the people and organizations who have assisted me (and continue to do so) as I've struggled up from the pit of my self-made despair. And my hope for my future resides entirely in my giving back- time, service, skills, money, you name it - to my community. That is the real Thanksgiving, and it's not a holiday, it's every moment of every day.

Be blessed, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

Me
December 2009

Vertigo - Meniere's

Vertigo - Meniere's
Credit: http://djembeslappin.blogspot.com/2007/10/menieres-hell.html