Friday, March 19, 2010

Reconnecting in Recovery

Quick Update:

Had a wisdom tooth removed yesterday - local anesthetic and nitrous only. A pretty (amazingly) painless procedure overall, and doing well today.

Still in a holding pattern re when my 2nd interview will be scheduled, and still waiting to receive the authorization form for a background check - meanwhile, I've passed along to my AbiliCorp rep an updated references list, which brings me to the point of this post...

Re-creating and updating my references list for this promising job application process, I've had, in the past couple days, the opportunity to experience (again) what is probably one of the most profound and beautiful gifts (promises) of recovery; reconnecting and renewing my relationships with people from my past. From the standpoint of humility, some of these folks have every reasonable justification for wanting nothing to do with me ever again (whether I made amends to them or not).

Yet, thanks to a higher power (HP) whose mysterious ways I can't fathom, not only have *every one* of these people forgiven me, and spoken kindly to me when I called them to ask for reference permission - they've jumped enthusiastically at the chance to help me. In some ways, this isn't the least bit surprising, as the particular folks I'm interested in using for this purpose really are the "cream of the crop" - very good people whose kindness, patience, and tolerance I took extreme advantage of in my addiction. So, you see, my higher power was watching over me and caring for me even then - when I was oblivious, even militantly resistant to acknowledging his existence.

Where this puts me today is in a position of deep gratitude - for the amazing things my HP is doing for me today, and the ever expanding (and re-awakening) circle of friends growing up around me (another promise of the program). Crazy old alcoholic me gets to have the finest friends and colleagues anyone could ask for.

Recovery is good indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

Me
December 2009

Vertigo - Meniere's

Vertigo - Meniere's
Credit: http://djembeslappin.blogspot.com/2007/10/menieres-hell.html